Making the switch from smoking to vaping
February 9, 2021
Vaping has quickly become one of the fastest growing alternatives to smoking
Vaping is an alternative way for smokers to get their nicotine without resorting to cigarettes. There are so may people choosing to make the switch from traditional cigarettes to vaping, so you don’t need to be alone on making the switch.
There is plenty of information and guidance out there which can be overwhelming so we have created our very own guide which should contain the information you need in order to make your decision and make the switch.
Is it going to be difficult to make the switch?
Some people may find the transition to vaping easy whilst others may find it more difficult, it really is a personal experience. Once having made the decision to switch to vaping you may find you’re able to put down the cigarettes for good however some people find they have to transition and phase out the cigarettes gradually.
There is no right or wrong way of doing it, it’s about finding which approach works best for you and is going to support you in moving to vaping and giving up cigarettes. An element that is key to the smooth running of the switch is making sure you get the right vape and e-liquid combination for you and your needs. Check out our blogs on what is vaping and the Q&A section for more information.
Are there side effects to vaping?
There are a few things you might notice when you make the switch to vaping. A lot of smokers’ cough when they when they first make the switch from smoking to vaping and this is completely normal. The sensation of smoking and vaping feel very different and can take a few days to get used to. If after a few days, you are still coughing when using your vape you may find you need to reduce the settings on your vape (if applicable). If that doesn’t do the trick you may want to try reducing the nicotine strength of your e-liquid or choosing a liquid with a higher VG ratio.
Just like smoking it is possible to vape too much. You may experience dizziness, headaches or nausea but this isn’t a cause for panic. If these symptoms are persistent when you vape then you should reduce your nicotine strength.
Your vape can leak. A cigarette burns, so when you take a harder draw you get a harder hit of nicotine. It’s not quite the same with vaping, the vape needs a small amount of time to do it’s job so if you draw too hard it won’t have the time to vaporise so it will cause a leak as too much e-liquid will be pulled into the atomizer. A long and slow draw on your vape should prevent this kind of leaking.
Are there health effects to vaping?
Public Health England (PHE) state that e-cigarettes are at least 95% safer than smoking.
- Within 20 minutes of you starting to vape your body will start to feel the effects of you kicking the cigarettes.
- 20 minutes – Your heart rate is starting to return to normal.
- 2 hours – Your heart rate and blood pressure will be at nearly normal levels. This is where smokers going cold turkey start to experience cravings, as a vaper you are still getting your nicotine, no cravings for you.
- 12 hours – The carbon monoxide is leaving your body. Vaping doesn’t have tar or carbon monoxide so your body is starting to purge itself of these harmful toxins.
- 24 hours – Your lungs will start to rid themselves of the harmful build up that comes from smoking. This can mean a cough for a little while, but don’t panic and keep going.
- 48 hours – Your sense of taste and smell will start to come back, things might start to taste as they should and you can smell more than before.
All of this can start to happen within the first two days of you making your switch to vaping. You will start to feel the benefits much quicker than just going cold turkey as you are replacing your nicotine source.
Tips for a successful transition.
Following a few simple tips will help you from slipping back into old habits.
- Keep your vape with you
- Keep it charged or carry spare batteries
- Make sure you have your e-liquid
- Carry a spare atomizer
- Choose the right kit for you. Starter kits are great as they come with everything you could need to get going.
- If starting off with a mod vape then keep it as simple as possible as you’re not only learning about vaping but how to use a completely new piece of kit with variables.
- Don’t buy e-liquid in bulk until you know what flavours you love and what strength works best for you.
Sometimes people find it difficult to make the switch completely straight from the off so if you like to have a cuppa and a cigarette that’s ok as long as you are cutting down. The journey can take time so try slowly swapping out some of your cigarette breaks with a vape break.
Choosing the right nicotine strength for you can make all of the difference. If you find a flavour you love then that’s great but if you find yourself going for your vape constantly then chances are your nicotine strength should be increased, equally if you find yourself with the mild side effects then a reduction in your nicotine strength could be the way to go.
Finally, the key to a successful switch is to choose the Vape Caddy to guide you on this journey and for all your vaping needs ?